Sunday, January 01, 2006

It's a new year! Hooray!

I'm sorry it's been so long since I've updated the blog. There's a couple of reasons for my being MIA.

First, I spent a LOT of time working on my parent's anniversary present. For those not in the 'know' my brother and I liberated their slide collection, I bought a dedicated slide scanner, and scanned slides until I thought my eyes would cross. I had no idea how many slides they truly had! The grand total ended up being 2776, or between 140 and 185 hours of scanning time. It was a lot of fun, and gave me a new appreciate for my dad's photographic skills, as well as allowing me a lot of time to wander down 'memory lane'.

Second, I've been learning my new job, and adapting to the 9-5 lifestyle. It's a major adjustment. LOL I'm having to find ways to get my life more organized - I can't leave stuff for 'my day off' because there's just too much to cram into a two day weekend. Even though I'm working shorter days than I was, I'm still in the "I'm home from work and it's time to veg" mode - which was fine after a 12 hr day, but not so cool after a 9 hr day.

Third, I've been in a funk. All the holidays at this time of year give me too much time to dwell on the 'what-if's' and 'shoulda, coulda, woulda's' and other general musings on the state of my life. Like everyone, I have those spots in my history that just scream "WHAT where you thinking?!", but then there are some really good memories to balance them out. LOL In my worst moments I try to figure out what the men in my life were thinking - and that's a GUARANTEED migraine - never never never try to figure out what your ex's were thinking! It turns into a never-ending round of circular thinking because truth to tell - you'll never know.

I always get the travel bug around this time of year and start thinking of places I'd like to go. I'm on the mailing list for a couple of different travel agencies, and I love reading about all the different tours they have. I have standing invitations to Dallas, Austin, Washington DC, and Kentucky (I can't remember the name of the city but on the west side of the state.) A bunch of my internet buddies are getting together next month in Pennsylania for a weekend. Then there's my favorite old stand-by. Niagara Falls. I love that place! I never seem to go anywhere, but I sure do like to think about it. :-P

Some of my IBD sucks friends and I are kicking around the idea of a camping trip to NC in the spring to visit another sucks friend. Who knows what'll come of it, but the one thing I'm sure of is that I'm buying a good camp bed, or air mattress or something of that sort before I go camping again. I'm getting too old for matting and a sleeping bag to cut it. LOL Jason thinks we're wimps but I'm holding out for a campground with flush toilets and hot showers. I can handle everything else - but I refuse to take cold showers, and I don't have time to do that "dig-a-hole-in-the-ground" thing that hard core campers take so seriously. *snicker* Bunch of IBD'ers and he wants primitive camping - HAH! Jennifer is considering coming with us and she is a JAP of the first order when it comes to comfort. (she cheerfully admits it!) Then there's Brett, who'll gamely try the new experience - but she's not terribly excited about it. Maybe she and Jennifer will 'camp' at the nearby Motel 6. lolololol

What would really be fun would be to get a whole group of friends or family together and rent adjoining fishing cabins at Fall Creek Falls. It'd be the best of all worlds! Right smack in the middle of a gorgeous park with tons and tons of outdoor stuff to do, but real walls, toilets, beds and kitchens to live out of. Plus - separate cabins for everyone, so privacy would still be an option. :-D

Well, anyway - that's the latest! I'll put a link on the side here for the slide sampler - and post a rundown on the party later (tomorrow?) but the anniversary party was a great success, and a good time was had by all. Mum was shocked and surprised, and Dad claims he was, though I have my doubts. Even if he figured out something was up, he didn't tell, and he seemed to have a good time too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home