Thursday, June 24, 2004

Day one of five/cleaning extravaganza

My work hours just changed to 3 12hr shifts a week, and I stacked them up so I was off today and don't go back until next Tuesday! HOORAY!

Today, DAY ONE, I finished hanging rod over my w/d in the laundry area so I now have a place to store empty hangers and will be able to hang perm press straight from the dryer. BIG Hooray!

While in laundry room (a converted back porch) I cleaned about half the walls, baseboards and the door to inside house. This area is ALWAYS dirty as I leave the door to the outside open all the time so dogs have shelter while I'm at work. Last year, one dog managed to close himself into this room and then proceeded to destroy the drywall in about a 2x3 ft area trying to get loose. Today I cut down some pieces to fit in that area, used my handy dandy drill to attach it, and I am now in the process of mudding it in! It will be such a thrill to see a real wall there again...

I lost the battle on decluttering my cookbooks - set two little ones and my old Betty Crocker cookbook aside to give to my friend who is teaching herself how to cook. The rest of the cookbooks are really old ones that I got from my grandmother, and/or specialty cookbooks that I may not use very often but keep as references. i.e. The Canning and Preserving cookbook circa 1950. Awesome recipes! Besides I have a big kitchen with a pantry and I'm single. I have room for cookbooks, right?

I had been doing little bits and pieces of cleaning my kitchen (a major disaster area) during my work day evenings, and yesterday when I came home, I had done enough of it that the rest didn't look too overwhelming. I had done a deep clean on the short counter on one side of kitchen so just had the long counter left. I did all that, wiped down the roller blinds on the windows over the sink, and took down, washed and rehung the window sheers in that room.

I think I need a small, easily managed goal for tomorrow, so tomorrow will be bathroom day. It's pretty well decluttered so I should be able to knock it into shape in about an hour or so.

After reading this, I'm feeling like I accomplished more this first 24 hours than I had thought I did - yeah!!! Not a lot of items, but big ones, and ones that NEEDED to be done to allow for better functioning of the rest of the house.

I'll update tomorrow on DAY TWO/FIVE.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home